so - thanks to all of you who answered my 'call' a few weeks back when I asked what my superpower is.
it was humbling in places to read what high esteem some of you hold me in (and comforting to know that there are some of you I can always rely on to make sure I keep my feet on the ground...)
I've copied all the responses below for reference (anonymised, naturally - got to protect those secret identities!), but what seems to be coming out of them is that my superpowers are:
1) the ability to take complex information and ideas and present them in ways that are easy to understand and relate to
2) connecting diverse and wide-ranging sources of information to help cut through issues quickly and concisely
thanks to you all for 'playing along'.
- laser-beam analytical skills
- the ability to understand people/scenarios/language quickly (a hugely under rated talent IMO) and its obviously 'super' (difficult) because of the sector that you choose to ply your trade in, most social entrepreneurs have their own 'language' in my experiences to date !!
- When I ask you about something, you form a web of interconnections and links, allowing us to swing straight over ground which has been previously trodden, and avoiding existing pitfalls
- conviction. You always demonstrate a clear belief in what you are doing or saying
- vastly useful in-depth knowledge of charities, social enterprises, and co-operatives, and their role within our economy
- respond to a complex question in a factual and personable manner. I have seen you do this on several occasions, putting the questioner at ease with not only the response but also the manner of the reply
- Stats and normal distributions could b used to categorise you in the six parts per million category....... or even at one in a thousand that’s 99.9% of them not as good as you
- You are Hyper efficient, easy to reach, informative on most subjects and a jolly fellow to work with. Why do I call you, because you are easy to speak to, a good listener and able to discuss through what are often tricky situations as well as offer advice. You get things done quickly and are always willing to go beyond what is required of you to support me in my quests. There! Supportive, efficient, good communicator, get things done and never let me down
- Being able to translate strategic vision into something useful on the ground.
- Insightful and being able to reference good practice and findings from the work you've been involved in and topics you've researched and reflected on over the years
- Being able to spot weaknesses/gaps and challenges in a proposal and make useful suggestions
- Sensible but also entrepreneurial - a risk taker
- Honest, ethical and fair and challenging authority where necessary
- translating legal structures and governance into something none legal people can understand
Some people also likened me to:
- professor X
- the A team
- being a Babel fish (hitch-hikers guide)